5.27.2011

Hunger Games & Movie

So I'm NOT a monster Hunger Games fan.

I read them and I thought they were fun (and really hard to put down once I started) , but I place them in the same category as the Twilight books. Total fluffilicious brain candy.

In all fairness, the author is a good storyteller. It's fast paced, action packed, and engaging, but what the freak is up the characters? Katniss is a annoying gutless flip-flopper who is incapable of making decisions or experiencing emotions other than confusion, anger, and sadness. The supporting characters are so two-dimensional and are never explored enough to explain why Katniss "loves" them so much, despite this being a central plot point as far as every decision Katniss makes. We are just told that we should love them because Katniss loves them, and are expected to go along merrily reading without any connections to any characters.

The real shame is that the author completely misses a perfect opportunity to satirize modern media and consumerism, instead focusing on a bogus love story and violent action.

Aaannyway,
The movie is coming out in 2012. I think this story will translate a lot better through film. It's entirely action based and the characters in the book feel only the most basic emotions, which will be great for teenage actors.

And it WILL be PG-13. They'll have to cut out some gore, but it's a teenage audience, so how stupid would producers have to be to make it R?

Casting looks pretty coolio. Unlike twilight, the actors seem pretty well known and qualified. I haven't made any judgements yet about whether I like them or not, but hopefully they do a good job.
I'm excited to see what they do with it.



Jennifer Lawrence is Katniss. All I know about her was that she was nominated for a Golden Globe and and Academy award for her part in Winter's Bone. That's awesome. Much more qualified than stupid unemotional Bella in twilight.







Liam Hemsworth as Gale. He's a hunk, but the fact that he dated and was in a movie with Hannah Montana loses him some points.











Josh Hutcherson as Peeta. Apparently he was great in Bridge to Terabithia and The Kids are All Right, but I haven't seen either of them. Who knows. He looks pretty cool. He has a Jimmer jaw.









Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman the talk show host!! I love Stanley Tucci! I bet you anything they'll make his role bigger than it was in the book just to showcase his awesomeness.










Woody Harrelson as Haymitch. I honestly was hoping for Robert Downey Jr, but since that was hoping for the impossible, I think this is a good choice. I know he was in Cheers and Zombieland, but I haven't seen either.





The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me! Thanks for being here. You are awesome sauce.