12.06.2011

What would your drawing look like if it were painted realistically?

Just kidding.
I'm sure you're an incredibly apt artist.
Not judging.


Just saying that this guy could take your crappy school girl drawing and turn it into a rockin realistic monsterpiece.
Dit bonjour à Dave Devries. 
Basically he takes kid's drawings, and paints them creepy and realistic. His project is called the "Monster Engine". Somehow he makes them all dark and timburtonesque (Yeah. He's a word now. Look it up), and this is where it started: 


"It began at the Jersey Shore in 1998, where my niece Jessica often filled my sketchbook with doodles. While I stared at them, I wondered if color, texture and shading could be applied for a 3D effect. As a painter, I made cartoons look three dimensional every day for the likes of Marvel and DC comics, so why couldn’t I apply those same techniques to a kid’s drawing? That was it… no research, no years of toil, just the curiosity of seeing Jessica’s drawings come to life."


This is one of those projects where I go, "SERIOUSLY? Why the freak didn't I think of this first. Like really. It should have been in my brains."


I hate that feeling. 


But I still kinda want to go grab a crayon and attempt a rhinoceros with my left hand and my eyes closed, just to see what he could make of it. 


Dave Devries also works for Marvel and DC comics, you know, just painting creepsters and super heroes like it's nobody's business. Pro.


Here are some more of my favorites from his "Monster Engine" project:



There. Go be jealous of this awesome idea. 


1 comment:

Your comments mean the world to me! Thanks for being here. You are awesome sauce.