3.19.2012

when my mind is blank

Join me for a brief history lesson:

In my french class last week we learned about the Dada cultural movement during WWI.

People have always been concerned about being aesthetically pleasing, making their paintings so precise and perfect and beeyooootiful.
Dadaists took those traditional thoughts and created art that was ugly and intended to offend JUST to say something different. They rejected any reason and logic involved in their culture and basically started an anti-art movement.
This was the groundwork for abstract art, postmodernism and pop-art, people!

For example:

Here we see Marcel Duchamp's piece, The Fountain. Basically he just grabbed a urinal from a men's bathroom, stuck it on a pedestal, painted on his name and called it art. It's regarded as a major landmark of the 20th century.
It's so fantastic because people are searched to interpret the symbolism behind this urinal. It's a freaking urinal! Stretch your mind. Interpret the symbolism behind it.
WHAT WAS HE THINKING?!


I love it. I think it's all just fantastic. I want in.

Anyways, our teacher had us do this poetry exercise. Apparently poets in the Dadaism movement would close their eyes, empty their minds, and just write whatever came to their heads and call it poetry.

We tried it.

Here is what came to my head:

Andy's smile. Flowers, art, calligraphy pens and ink. Headbands and stripes. Hearing Beirut on campus makes me happy. Scarves, sex, and food. Hunger means steak. Movies with tears and screams and thought. Freedom in life with easy responsibilities. Time consuming fun. April to august, sun and chlorine and boyfriends. 

It was an interesting exercise. Kind of enlightening. I would recommend trying it. 

LOOK AT ME LEARNING THINGS AT SCHOOL!! 
HARDYHARHAR!

Have a good week everyone :)

3 comments:

  1. um, i relate to the scarves, sex, and food one. mostly the second thing, though.

    maybe that's tmi. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a urinal, eh? I think I may have a shot at being an artist after all... :)
    just wanted to let you know I nominated you for a blog award over at my place. congrats!
    p.s. the girl who commented above me is a sex addict.
    p.p.s that last p.s. was a lie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thanks Whitney! That's so nice of you.
    BTW- Totally love your blog posts. They make me snort. Like, I legitimately am trying to stifle my laughter and I end up with ugly snorts.
    Thank you for that. :D

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me! Thanks for being here. You are awesome sauce.