8.26.2012

Awake my Soul

Yeah I know. It's about time that I blogged about one of the most fantastic nights of my life.
That's right. 
I saw Mumford and Sons live at the Saltair on Wednesday. 
EAT THAT! HA!
I convinced Andy a couple months ago that my happiness was worth the $70 per ticket, and at the time he very much did not agree with me. But once I said that he was allowed to by Halo 4 when it came out he was completely on board. Great compromising skills, right?

I can't even explain how awesome the Saltair is. According to the wikipedia article, the first Saltair resort was built in the 1890's and was the western version of Coney Island. It was a super popular amusement park built right on the edge of the Great Salt Lake. Only problem was it kept burning down and going out of business until it finally shut down during the great depression. Recently they've been trying to start it back up by having concerts there and now they've had Panic at the Disco, Ke$ha, Dave Matthews Band, and a bunch of others perform there and it's getting to be big again. 

So so pretty. Just an amazing venue. 
We walked inside, thinking it was going to be an indoor concert. It was busy with all the food stands and people using the bathrooms. There was a line going upstairs that only people over the age of 21 were allowed to join. The balcony was filled with drunk people having a riot, which left the lower floor to US!

Heck, we weren't complaining.
We got to stretch out, lay down on the grass, watch the sunset.
I mean, check out this view!!
We settled ourself right next to the fence. We were able to sit on the grass and still see. So awesome. Andy was quite content. 
The pre-show finally started. It was Slow Club and Nathaniel Rateliff. Not bad bands--I was entertained. I'd never heard of them before.

...and then.... and then.... and then... it was MUMFORD TIME!
I was hopping up and down. We ran forward to get a better view. I had tears in my eyes. Oh my good golly gosh because there was Marcus Mumford, about 70 feet away from my ears.

And this was the first picture of them that I took:


Now prepare yourself for a buttload of Mumford awesomeness because you can bet your bottom dollar that I took a million pictures.

They had this monstrous HD screen next to the stage and like 8 different camera men all over that took fantastic closeup videos of the entire band. 

And then it was over way too fast. Extremely way too fast. But I've never had so much fun at a concert in my life. They were absolutely perfect. Sounded just like their CD. 
Some highlights:
  • They came out on stage to the "Nottingham" song from the Disney Robin Hood because Robin Hood is Marcus' favorite super hero.
  • Winston talked about how they walked all around Salt Lake and saw the "big church where there was lots of weddings" and the "big building where you could fit 30,000"and that they ate at the Blue Lemon CafĂ© and it was fantastic. 
  • Since we were right next to the Great Salt Lake there were a million bugs and Winston said "Is anyone else getting bitten to shit?"
  • One of my favorite phrases that they said was "Thanks for being dead nice". 
  • They said that the Saltair was one of the coolest venues that they'd ever played at. And dude, they've toured all over Europe. But I'm sure all bands say that. 
Ahhh so fun I just want to go back. I hope they come again because Andy said the even HE would go again if they came back to Salt Lake. 

Well goodbye Marcus. Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me! Thanks for being here. You are awesome sauce.