10.10.2013

he's a fatty

First of all, today marks exactly 35 weeks of pregnancy. 35!
I've spent the majority of the year 2013 with a baby growing in my belly. 
And now I'm almost done! Huzzah!

Yesterday I went in for an ultrasound. I was extremely nervous. There has been a LOT leading up to this. So many uncertainties that we were finally going to get the answers to, the biggest one being his size. Ladies with gestational diabetes tend to have very large babies, and the fact that me, Andy, and all of our siblings were pretty huge when we were born? Like 9 pounders? Not comforting. With big babies come big complications and at this point I just wanted to know already.

Our last ultrasound was almost 4 months ago when we discovered the baby's manhood.  Finally he was up there on the screen, positioned perfectly, his head down towards my pelvis with a chubby little hand squashed up by his face. You could literally see the fat rolls on his arms. One of the first things the technician mentioned when looking at his face was the ridiculous amount of hair he had and I did a mental victory lap around the entire hospital. YAYYYYYY BABY HAIR! No big headed bald troll babies for us! 

I mean would you look at that? Does that make anybody else insanely happy?

Suddenly the technician switched gears and turned on some 3D magic. Andy and I looked at each other in shock because as far as we knew- 3D ultrasounds were an extra pricey deal that only rich people got to experience. Apparently not! And our baby is gorgeous.



I still can't stop looking at this photo. It almost doesn't look like an ultrasound. It's just that perfect. And his chunky wrist! I can't handle it. He was sleeping and just so comfy in his corner he didn't want to move and give us a picture of the front of his face. The technician stayed down there for like 10 minutes purposely bugging him trying to get him to budge, but our stubborn little buddy was just so content. We only got a few profile shots but hey! I'm SO not complaining. We weren't expecting a 3D shot so this was such a surprise gift anyway! We sat in the waiting room looking at all these photos for a few minutes before we talked to the doctor. It's strange but I just couldn't connect that adorable squashed up face on the ultrasound screen with the ghostly kicking I've been feeling inside me. This baby I was looking at is the same one that has the hiccups 2-3 times a day, the same one who joyfully wiggles to Mumford and Sons, the one who we'll be meeting in just a few weeks....It's taken a while to connect those ideas all together. How could this be an actual little person inside me, complete with a thick head of hair and my nose? I mean look! That's my nose!

Finally we got to talk to our doctor and we got the news that we were expecting. This kid is gigantic. At 35 weeks he is measuring in the 95th percentile. 7lbs, 3oz. That's how big he should be at over 38 weeks. The doctor said that there is no avoiding the fact that this is going to be a big baby. If we wanted to avoid that we'd have to deliver him now and he is just not ready. We'll do another ultrasound at 39 weeks and then talk about inducing or doing a c-section. The biggest risk for a huge baby being delivered naturally is shoulder dystocia- where the baby's shoulder gets stuck and his collar bone breaks which might lead to permanent nerve damage. Obviously that is something we want to avoid, so if the baby is looking like he's going to be 10 pounds or more by 39 weeks then our safest option would be to schedule a c-section. The most that I can do right now is stick to my diet plan and keep my blood sugar stable.

While we were expecting this, I am still disappointed with the way this conversation went. After we left I finally got my head around what the doctor said and I wanted to walk right back in there and discuss it all over again. I do not want to wait until 39 weeks to talk about an induction or c-section. By that point it might be too late to discuss any other options because he'll be too big. I want to talk about this within the next few weeks - do some tests to see if his lungs are ready and then possibly induce at 37-38 weeks so I can deliver naturally. I just don't want to be backed into a corner with no other option but a c-section. So I have another appointment in 2 weeks. I plan to hash all of this out then, but in the meantime all I can do is get comfortable with my meat and veggies and keep my blood sugar as low as possible.



But all in all, I was very happy after that doctor's appointment. Yes, he is a huge baby and there is a lot we are going to have to discuss, but the doctor was very impressed with how I've been handling my blood sugar. I still don't need any medication. I've lost weight since my last appointment 2 weeks ago which has me over the moon. Our baby is completely adorable and healthy and has a magnificent amount of hair. When I laid down on the examination table the doctor felt my stomach and said, "you know you're having a contraction right now, right?" and I was like is that what that is? I feel those all the time when I change positions quickly and I thought it was just round ligament pain. Sweet confirmation. Also, it now makes sense why I look and feel ridiculously huge - it's because I'm carrying a full term baby.

I'm making good progress and I am happy. Happy happy happy. I might take this happy energy and go wash some baby clothes and prepare a hospital bag (because I'm still secretly praying I go into labor, right now, by myself. And then I'd have a sweet itty bitty baby boy and could eat a cinnamon roll. How amazing would that be?)

2 comments:

  1. DUDE THERE IS A BABY IN THERE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice sharing and very impressive blog, keep it up buddy
    Travesti

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me! Thanks for being here. You are awesome sauce.