3.03.2014

rory travels: DC


Last week, Rory and I braved the skies and flew cross country to see/meet my family! My parents and 4 of my younger siblings live just south of DC and I hadn't seen any of them for months and months. Also, my big sister Becca came home from her 18-month LDS mission in Indiana, and so it was the first time that any of us saw her for a year and a half. What the what. She'd been gone for basically as long as Andy and I have been married. Craaaazy. There's that familiar feeling that you get when you see someone you really love for the first time in a long while. It's like she never left. Bec was my roommate for a year at BYU and we got super close. It was awesome to see that that closeness was still there.

So everyone met Rory for the first time! It was fabulous timing too, because he's just crossed that 3 month mark and so his little personality is developing rapidly. He was alllllllll smiles. He smiles with his whole body. I forget how wiggly he is until he meets new people and they're like "he just never quits moving!!".  How cute is it to watch your "macho" teenage brothers hold your baby boy and make goo goo noises? Too. Cute.

Okay, trip highlights:

Watching my cute dad and brothers play with Rory. Rory boy just did not know what to do with all that attention he got. Everywhere he went, a semi circle of fans would form around him! By the end of the week I think he was just so overwhelmed. But as a mama, wow it is great to just see people fawn over my baby. I agree. He IS the cutest.

We had a family dinner with a whole slew of relatives. Lemme tell you, you gather a bunch of Lamberts around a table stacked with cupcakes and brownies and it will be a swell time. Rory took a 3 hour nap downstairs and I don't know how on earth he slept through all that commotion. Lamberts are loud. It was so so great to be surrounded by my family again. Was it only two years ago that everyone still lived in Provo and we'd gather at my grandma's house for Sunday dinner every single week?

My mom, Becca, and I toured DC as best as we could with a 3-month old. We tackled the National Gallery of Art (though the modern end was being renovated. boo.) and The American History Museum. We ate at the most FANTASTIC places. Indian food, greek food, Max Brenner's chocolate cafe... I think my favorite was Cava Mezze Grill. It was like a hipster greek chipotle. We went twice and both times I got a falafel bowl with super greens, tzatziki, cucumbers, pickled onions, and tahini dressing. Accompanied by a giant diet coke. Can't get any better than that.



We went to a movie! With Rory! The Angelika Film Center in Virginia is so gorgeous and we loaded up with caramel popcorn and saw a matinee of Philomena. I never thought I'd be able to bring Rory to see a movie but he was so great! I could feed him, stand up and bounce him, lay him on a blanket, and you know, let him stare at the mighty big bright screen without bothering anybody because there were all of 5 people seeing a 2pm showing of an independent film on a Wednesday afternoon. And the movie! As Jimmy Fallon would say, "SO good. SO good."

Speaking of Jimmy, my mom and I stayed up late every single night watch Jimmy Fallon on his first week of the Tonight Show. Clap. Clap. Clap. I love him. My mom also had all the olympic figure skating recorded so we got to bond over those as well. When I lived at home, we'd stay up late watching Chopped and Biggest Loser and sometimes even Family Guy. I loved watching shows with my mama again.

My studly brother Josh had a basketball game. He's a sophomore starting Varsity and it's been years since I've seen him play. Wowowowow. He's got such a great shot. Shoulders all squared up to the basket and everything. I'm jealous. Rory was fascinated by what was going on. That gym was incredibly loud and the buzzer freaked him out every time, but he was almost overly excited at all the commotion.



I loved chatting with my siblings. They're all like two years older than I have them in my memory. Caleb is 18 and is a freaking senior in high school. He's a smarty pants. And a dork. He's got a good head on his shoulders. And Liza Loo is 13. When I see her I feel like I'm looking into a mirror and seeing myself like 10 years ago. Long and lanky and oh so cute. I keep telling her, this is the skinniest you will ever be! enjoy it! She's such a grown up.

My 9 year old sister Sabrina was obsessed with all things Rory and I mean obsessed. Once she sat and watched me feed him and just asked question after question.  Does it hurt? What does it taste like? Where does the milk come from? She probably held him more than anyone else, and was always insistent on helping me with his diaper changes. Already, Sabrina is a fantastic aunt.

Saying goodbye to mom at the airport. That shouldn't really be a highlight but it is. She is so helpful and loving and strong. I will always need someone strong to take care of me because I get frazzled so easily. It's usually Andy but my mom sure is an excellent substitute. Finagling through an airport with a whole lot of luggage and a baby was so overly stressful to me but she was just so solid I couldn't have done it with out her. This whole week with her was great. I love love love being with my mom.



And so does Rory boy. Obvi.

That was it. 7 short days. As far as I know I won't be seeing my family again until the end of summer. Bah. I can't wait until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me! Thanks for being here. You are awesome sauce.